Garmin 235 vs 735 XT: Which Should You Buy For Your Fitness Exercise?
Are you torn between the Garmin 235 vs 735 because you are not sure what sets them apart? This article will compare these Garmin watches to help you decide which of these two popular and in-demand fitness watches you should get to help you keep track of your exercise and fitness training.
Garmin fitness smart watches are some of the most sought after fitness tracking devices on the market due to their versatility in terms of activity tracking, usability and reliability. These watches allow you to track your fitness progress and plan and share your activities with others.
Garmin fitness watches can help you improve your overall fitness or train for any event and this article is the article wants to review and compare the Garmin 235 vs 735 and what you get from each. These watches come in a various prices making one available for almost everyone.
In order to get a clear look at the Garmin 235 vs 735 we need to get a good look at the features of both of these fitness smart watches.
Features Of the Garmin Forerunner 235
The Garmin Forerunner 235 was released in 2015 and this fitness smart watch has the following features:
- Wrist based heart rate monitor 24/7 so you can keep track of your heart rate all day and night
- Battery lasts 12 weeks in watch mode and 12 hours in training mode
- Also can see incoming emails, text messages, call alerts, calendar reminders
- Tracks distance, pace VO2 max, daily steps and music control
- Social media sharing so you can share your workout with friends
- Can be worn in the shower because it is waterproof
- Fairly affordable since this is an older watch the price has dropped giving you a lot of watch for your money
Although the Garmin Forerunner 235 Black/Grey, One Size is an older model of fitness watch it still does quite well against other newer watches that have hit the market in the last 5 years partly due to its sharp looks and lightweight design.
The 235’s downloadable workouts can help you to maximize your workouts and help you to reach your goals.
The back to start feature on this smartwatch is great for those who get lost when using your GPS. All you need to do is hit the back to start and a line on the face of the clock appears to lead you back home.
Features of the Garmin Forerunner 735 XT
The Garmin Forerunner 735 XT was released in 2016. When comparing the Garmin 235 vs 735 here is a look at the features of the 735.
- Lightweight, which when working out no one wants anything heavy sitting on their wrist.
- Traditional watch shape Garmin sticks with the traditional round faced watch
- Soft silicone band
- Data for running, swimming, hiking, XC skiing, multisport, paddle sports and cardio
- 24/7 heart rate monitor to track your heart rate all day and all night long
- Allows automatic performance data uploads to Garmin connect as well as live performance tracking, audio music control, smart call and text notifications, social media connection etc
- 11 days in clock mode- 14 hours GPS
- Goal Setting features allows you to set those goals you are looking to reach
The 735 are a great watch for triathletes. Its slim design, long battery life and lightweight make it a great workout watch.
This watch makes may be a little over priced for just runners, but if you partake in multiple sports this watch is a great choice.
Garmin 235 vs 735: What Are The Similarities between them?
Although the Garmin 010-01614-06 Forerunner 735XT - EU, Black/Gray is an updated version of the 235, the two fitness smart watches have some features in common.
Let’s review some of common features share by the two:
- Waterproof: Both watches are waterproof and neither watch will get ruined if you forget to take it off
- Dial Design: Both watches have the same round shaped typical watch dial.
- Display: Both the 235 and 735 have 1.2-inch display making it easier to see.
- Sensors: Both watches have accelerometer and GPS sensor
- Activity Tracker: The activity tracker of both devices include: calories burned, distance, sleep quality, active minutes, 24/7 heart rate monitor, and hours slept.
- Both fitness watches have music control features
- Watch design: Both sports watches have a flat circular surfaces
- Both watches are Android compatible
- Both have customizable alerts
- Both have customizable activity profiles
Garmin 235 vs 735 XT: What are the differences between the two?
Although the Garmin Forerunner 735 XT is only a year newer than the 235 there are several differences between the two fitness watches.
Now let’s take a look at some of the differences between these Garmin smartwatches:
- Weight: The Garmin 235 weighs slightly more than the Garmin Forerunner 735 XT.
- Digital vs Analog: The 235 is a digital watch while the 735 is an analog watch
- Size: There is also a slight difference in size between the two watches
- Battery: The 735 has a longer battery life
- The 235 has a route tracker which the 735 does not have
- The 235 also has a calendar reminder, which seems to be missing on 735
- Storage: The 235 has a much longer activity storage �ince it is able to store 200 hours of activities while the 735 is only able to store 80 hours.
- The Garmin 735 has a compass and the 235 do not.
- The 735 also offers a multisport mode, which the Garmin Forerunner 235 lacks
- The 735 have a track back mode and the 235 do not.
- The 735 supports ANT
- The 735 automatically detects activities
- The Garmin Forerunner 735 XT offers tracking for both pool and open water swimming and the 235 do not offer any swimming tracking.
- The 735 allows for goal setting and the 235 does not
- The 735 also offers course guidance which is lacking in the Garmin 235
- The 735 has a Strava feature
- Price: The 735 is priced a bit higher than the Garmin Forerunner 235
Garmin 235 vs 735 Reviews: What do user say about each?
When it comes to what actual users think about the Garmin 235 vs 735 reviewers seem to like both of these Garmin watches and give them almost identical ratings, with the 735 scoring a minimal higher rating.
What is exceptionally clear is the fact that these fitness watches are made for two different types of users. The 235 are designed primarily for runners while the 735 are designed for people who partake in multiple sports.
One of the things that reviewers of both of these watches agree upon is that the wrist hear rate monitor does not work very well at all, which seems a bit odd since this was one of Garmin’s top selling points for both of these watches.
A Look at the individual watch user reviews:
To better understand the Garmin 235 vs 735 here is a look at what the reviews say for each individual watch.
Garmin Forerunner 235 User Reviews:
Reviews for the Garmin Forerunner 235 Black/Grey, One Size are good. Users like the stylish looks of this watch and find it easy to read.
Users find that this watch tracks well and the GPS works well no matter where you happen to be. The 235 can capture training data well.
However, users also find that the wrist heart rate monitor is extremely inaccurate and gets worse as you sweat.
Several users had difficulty getting the watch to power up and several users got watches that didn’t work at all.
Garmin Forerunner 735 XT User Reviews:
The Gamin Forerunner 735XT also gets good reviews.
Users find that this watch is easy to read and they really like its longer lasting battery.
Users like the multisport versatility of this watch that allows its use for tracking in different sports including open water swimming, running and biking.
Users did report that the heart rate monitor did not work well and certainly was not accurate. They also stated that they had difficult syncing the watch.
In addition, several users stated that this multisport smartwatch had more features than they would ever use.
If you are looking for a high quality fitness watch for a reasonable price either one of these multisport smart watches will meet your needs. However, you will need to determine your needs when it comes to the Garmin 235 vs 735 or any other fitness watch.
If you are looking for a watch that tracks the basics of your workout such as calories burned, distance you have traveled, and your sleep quality with a route tracker thrown in then the Garmin Forerunner 235 is going to be best options.
However, if you are into multiple sports or simply want something with all of the bells and whistles then the Garmin 010-01614-06 Forerunner 735XT - EU, Black/Gray is going to be your best bet.
Overall, in the battle of the Garmin 235 vs 735 we find that the Garmin 235 is the most suitable for the largest number of people. This watch has all of the features the average person needs to track their workouts and is actually extremely affordable.
We do encourage you to examine your own personal needs, read the reviews for yourself and then determine which workout watch is right for you and your fitness goals and aspirations.
Recommended posts & articles:
Best Garmin Watches
Garmin 010-01689-00 Forerunner 35; Easy-to-Use GPS Running...
Buy on Amazon
Garmin Forerunner 245 Music, GPS Running Smartwatch with...
Buy on Amazon
Garmin Forerunner 235 Black/Grey, One Size
Buy on Amazon
Garmin Forerunner 35 GPS Running & Activity Tracker...
Buy on Amazon
Garmin Forerunner 645 Music, GPS Running Watch With Garmin...
Buy on Amazon
Garmin Forerunner 235 GPS Sport Watch with Wrist-Based Heart...
Buy on Amazon
Garmin 010-01746-00 Forerunner 935 Running GPS Unit (Black)
Buy on Amazon
Garmin Forerunner 35 Watch, Black (Renewed)
Buy on Amazon
Interested in more options in this category? Check out our extended product listing below:
Last update on 2021-04-16 : Disclosure: We may earn a small fee on qualified purchases made through links on this blog